Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Saga of a Homeless Man

I haven't been blogging much lately, which is just plain silly since I'm now both jobless and homeless, and thus clearly have plenty of time to do so. And I have so much to blog about!!!

In the last month since being let go from Accenture, I've been getting a taste of what it's like to be homeless. Not in the sense that I'm out on the street, but rather in that transition period that I expect people go through when they're staying with friends and family and trying everything in their power to keep themselves OFF the street. And battling incessantly with banks, health insurance, credit card companies, and everyone else who wants a piece of you and isn't interested in giving you any leeway.

I get the sense that this experience will be pretty compelling to read, and that it will certainly resonate with people who have found themselves in similar circumstances. Though I will add that I am by no means directly threatened with bankruptcy or true on-the-street homelessness. I'm pretty lucky that I have a strong social network as well as robust finances... and of course I'm quite employable, even if I'm choosing not to work right now. Still, this has been eye-opening for me, and I'm sure y'all will enjoy it, too. ;)

No comments: