Thursday, March 26, 2009

New company OnLive to stream next-gen games over the web

This is pretty interesting... A company called OnLive is looking to stream PS3/Xbox360 games online, so that users pay a subscription rather than buy a console.  The upfront console costs are a big barrier for game sales (that's the main reason I won my $100 of cheese from Stefan), so if you can remove the need for the hardware, then I suspect you allow millions more people to participate.

Of course, you need a minimum level of bandwidth and latency to make this work, but at 1.5 Mbps the requirements aren't so bad.  I'll have to see this to believe it, but if it turns out that it works as advertised, I'll be dropping my Gamefly subscription and scratching the PS3 off my I'll-probably-buy-it-someday list.


No comments: