Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My 2nd earthquake!

So on Thursday night last week I experienced my 2nd ever earthquake! It was pretty awesome. Only a 4.2, but it was just across the bay in the Oakland Hills and so I felt it, baby! It was like 4 in the morning, and I just randomly woke up, and immediately felt this crescendo of deep bass rumblings…

rumblerumblerumblerumbleRUMBLERUMBLERUMBLErumblerumble… the whole building shook and things were rattling, but it was sort of a happy pleasant sort of shake and rattle. Apparently it lasted 10-30 seconds (depending on where you were)… I’m guessing that the low bass of the early part of the crescendo is what woke me up, giving me another 5-10s to enjoy the experience.

Anyways, Leah came running out of her room and yelled through my door, “omg, what was that!!” And I was like, um, hello native Bay Area girl, that was an earthquake. Hahaha. Ah well, she was out of it… it was 4 in the morning and the thing did wake us up.

I have to admit that as it rumbled away for the few seconds it lasted, I was half-expecting the crescendo to continue… I can see how it could have increased to a really destructive level, which would have been kind of cool to witness (assuming I survived). Some day that’ll happen, and I’ll likely still be living here. But it’s nice to know that I’m not really freaked out by earthquakes, and apparently won’t be until the Big One’s actually attempting to kill me.

No comments: