Thursday, June 26, 2008

7 New Deadly Sins

Hey, guess what! There are now 7 more deadly sins to worry about, courtesy of Catholicism!!

Check this out, from The Onion AV Club, of all places:

"As you've probably heard from the Vatican podcast
by now, this week the Catholic church updated the Seven Deadly Sins.
The classics (Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Lust, Pride, Wrath, Envy) still
stand, but the church has added seven new categories of sin, in the hope of keepin' up with the crazy ways the kids are sinning these days.

From the NY Times, the bright, shiny, new sins are:

1. “Bioethical” violations such as birth control

2. “Morally dubious” experiments such as stem cell research

3. Drug abuse

4. Polluting the environment

5. Contributing to widening divide between rich and poor

6. Excessive wealth

7. Creating poverty"


Now, I've got to say that I'm quite impressed with about 5 of those. I mean, you know I'm tickled pink by the environmental sin. And I'm a big fan of the ones related to wealth distribution. But seriously, did they need 3 related to wealth? Wouldn't a single well-written sin have covered that topic? And isn't drug abuse just a form of gluttony? And OMG, can the Pope and his legion puh-LEEZE get off the abortion and stem cell bans??!?!?

I think in summary, this is like 3 steps forward, 2 steps back. I think Paula Abdul has a song about that.

No comments: